Aluminium Doors vs Composite Doors
There are many factors to consider when choosing a new front door (or any door, for that matter); you have to look at the different materials, styles, and prices. It can be overwhelming!
If you’re stuck between buying an aluminium door or a composite door, this post should help you decide!
We’ll explore the pros and cons of both materials so you can make an informed decision about which one is right for your home. Read on to learn more.
What Are Composite Doors?
Composite front doors and back doors are made from a combination of materials such as laminate, uPVC, and GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic).
This gives a composite door the strength of metal doors, with the insulation properties of timber doors. Composite doors also come in a variety of styles and colours to suit any home.
What Are Aluminium Doors?
Aluminium doors are - obviously - made of aluminium, and are usually used in commercial and industrial buildings, but can also be used in residential homes. Aluminium doors are very strong and durable, and are resistant to corrosion and weathering. They are also low maintenance, easy to clean, and impressively light.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of A Composite Front Door Or Back Door
Composite and aluminium doors both have a lot to offer - just take a look at the composite doors we offer and all their benefits. Let's take a closer look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of composite doors.
- Durable due to multiple layers
- Low maintenance
- They are very strong and secure, making them a good choice for families with young children or pets
- Thermally efficient
- Solid timber or foam core
- Wood effect finishes available (can look like a wood door)
- Suits modern homes
- Enhanced security
- GRP used for extra strength
- Wide range of colours (colours of composite doors we offer)
- The lifespan of composite doors is around 30 years
- Great for kerb appeal
- They can be more expensive than other door materials and are occasionally not as energy efficient
- Sticky locks can be a problem
Advantages And Disadvantages Of An Aluminium Front Door
Aluminium doors are a popular choice due to their many benefits. They are durable, low maintenance, and offer good energy efficiency. However, aluminium doors also have some disadvantages to be aware of. Let's take a look at both:
- Aluminium doors are very durable and require little to no maintenance
- Good thermal efficiency/retain heat
- Aluminium doors come in a wide range of styles and colours to suit any taste or budget
- Advanced coating process
- Not a plastic door
- Treatments are ingrained in the door skin
- An aluminium entrance door has an average lifespan of around 45 years
- Sliding, folding, French, and hinged doors are available
- Aluminium doors can be more expensive than other types of doors
- They can be susceptible to dents and scratches if not properly cared for
- Some people prefer the look of other materials, such as wood or composite
- Powder coated
- Not many colours to choose from
Which Is Better For Your Home?
There are a few factors to consider when deciding whether aluminium or composite doors are better for your home. Aluminium doors are more durable and require less maintenance than composite doors. They are can also be very energy efficient and have a longer lifespan.
On the other hand, composite doors are more aesthetically pleasing and can be made to look like wood or other materials. Composite front doors are also more soundproof and offer better insulation against heat and cold.
Ultimately, the decision of which type of door is best for your home depends on your personal preferences and needs. Aluminium and composite doors are both an excellent choice.
Aluminium doors are between £1400 and £4500, and composite doors are between £900 and £1500. Aluminium is more expensive because of its extra durability.
Maintenance Of Composite Doors
Composite doors are made from a variety of materials, including wood, glass and metal. They are designed to be durable and require little maintenance. However, there are a few things you can do to keep your composite door looking its best:
- Wipe down the door with a damp cloth regularly to remove any dirt or debris.
- If the door becomes stained, you can clean it with a mild soap and water solution.
- To protect the finish of the door, avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners.
Maintenance Of Aluminium Doors
Aluminium doors are very easy to maintain.
- You can simply wipe them down with a damp cloth, and they will look good as new.
- All you need is a mild detergent, water, and a soft sponge.
- Gently wipe the aluminium door to get all the dirt and debris off the door.
Manufacturing Process Of Composite Doors
Composite doors are made from a mixture of materials, including wood and plastic. The wood is usually sourced from sustainable forests, and the plastic is often recycled. The door is then formed by combining these materials under high pressure and heat.
The manufacturing process for composite doors begins with mixing the wood pulp and plastic resins together. The mixture is then placed into a mould, where it is heated and pressurized until it takes shape. They are made by using GRP skins and a foam core to craft a uPVC frame and a door slab.
Once the door has cooled, it is trimmed to size and any holes or other features are added. The door is then ready for finishing. The result is a strong, sturdy door that is resistant to warping and cracking. Composite front doors, back doors and interior doors can be made in a variety of styles and colours to suit any home.
Manufacturing Process Of Aluminium Doors
Aluminium doors are made using a process called extrusion. This involves heating aluminium billets to extremely high temperatures before forcing them through a die to create the desired door shape.
Once the door has been extruded, it is then cut to size, and any holes or other features are added. The door is then ready for finishing.
Aluminium doors are made using an aluminium profile and an aluminium door sash combined. Aluminium doors are made of aluminium sheets, an aluminium frame, insulation and stainless steel handles.
Are aluminium doors better than composite?
A composite door is usually cheaper to buy, and they are often easier to install. Composite doors are also available in a wider range of styles and colours, so you may be able to find one that better suits the look of your home, especially when it comes to composite front doors. Ultimately, the decision of whether to choose an aluminium door or a composite door is up to you.
Are aluminium front doors good?
Yes, aluminium front doors are strong and durable and can withstand heavy use. They're also low maintenance and easy to clean. However, aluminium doors can be expensive and may not be as energy efficient as some composite doors.
What is best material for exterior doors?
Composite doors are made from a variety of materials, so they offer the best of both worlds in terms of looks and performance.
In the end, it’s important to consider what is best for your home. Aluminium doors are the way to go if you want a classic and elegant look, although composite doors can also be very aesthetically pleasing. If you prefer a modern look, composite doors could be ideal. Both types doors last long and are strong, but composite doors come in many more colours, which is what makes them stand out.
Take a peek at our website to see more reasons why composite doors are the best choice.